Tuesday, December 18, 2012

the big one

This post should have happened on Saturday, to coincide with El Bandito's birthday. So, reset your mental clocks -- it's Saturday! Whooo!

But my extreme gratitude for El Bandito doesn't really know about calendars. He deserves it each and every day.

This past year has been one where I've gotten to try new things, explore new worlds.
And through it all, he's been there, supporting, encouraging, beaming with pride.

Standing by the side of the course during my first half-marathon, slapping my hand in a high-five as I ran past, cheering me on as I crossed the finish.

When I said I wanted to go dance on walls at a local aerial dance studio weekend, he said "that sounds like something you'd really enjoy. go for it".

When I performed trapeze publicly for the first time (and then, months later, the 2nd, third and 4th times), he was watching from the audience. Proud of me for being there, for doing it. Taking photos and grinning at me.

When I decided this summer that I wanted to not go to a work-related conference but instead go to an aerial dance workshop  camping in the mountains that overlapped on the calendar, he approved.  He lent me his camera, and told me to come home with stories. That workshop might have been the longest we've gone without hearing each other's voice (or at least email) in the entirely of our 19 years together.  It was an incredible, amazing experience for me, made even sweeter by how happily he welcomed me home.

These are just some of the big things. This year's been so full, mostly in a wonderful way. Having El Bandito by my side, telling me to ahead and try? An amazing and awesome gift.

And then there are so many little things. The tasty dinners, the clean kitchen, the way he brings me coffee in the morning. The way he can make me laugh until I start wheezing. The inside jokes. The way we sometimes finish each other's sentences (although sometimes he also complains when I don't complete my sentence because I assume he can fill in the rest). The way he puts my shoes away, even when I've intentionally left them for easy access.

And for a lovely Saturday birthday brunch, followed by a stroll and tasty rice pudding on a chill gray December day.

Who knew we'd grow together so well?  From two young kids to now, it's been a turbulent ride.  Thank you, dearest husband. Happy Birthday. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: You rock my world. It's not always easy, but it's always worth it.

1 comment:

maria at inredningsvis said...

Great post:) I like your blog and Im now following.

Check out my blog....Swedish decor and yummy recipies:)

Have a wonderful week dear

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis - The Swedish home decor blog