Friday, October 31, 2008

ghost stories

Halloween used to be one of my favorite holidays. There was something about the silliness of costumes, the traditions, and a general sense of fun that just made me like it.

Over the years, I've lost the spark -- going out for Halloween just isn't appealing. I don't want to spend the energy on costuming. Or watching amateurs drink themselves stupid.

In a way, I miss it. I miss living in a neighborhood where the kids actually trick-or-treat. I always liked handing out candy and seeing the costumes. I miss hanging out with my official "best friend" (a childhood designation that still holds water) -- Halloween was an anniversary of sorts for us in those early years of friendship. Her mother died a few weeks ago, and I hate being on the other side of the country and helpless. So there are the ghosts in this post -- memories.

On the other hand, it meant I went to a conditioning class for aerial work tonight. All the abs, stretching, rope-climbing, pullups and pushups are far more satisfying than any costume party could be. Another exciting Friday night workout -- and there's no taunting Halloween candy in the house.

No comments: