Tuesday, October 21, 2008

driving a hard bargain...

I bargain with myself when exercising. It's a pretty good deal, since usually it makes me push myself harder. Tonight, I really didn't want to run. I was feeling lazy and I'd left work later than I'd intended. I'd been trying to figure out how to do something all afternoon, and it finally clicked about 10 minutes before I intended to leave.

So I promised myself I only had to do a mile. I could quit after a mile. Something > nothing. Of course, I did more than that, because I reached a mile and I still didn't want to be running but I also had no compelling reason to quit.

Besides, I got up on Sunday morning and headed out to cheer for 21cmom in the Nike Women's Half Marathon. Despite the roughness of the course map, I managed to find my way to the spot where the full and the half diverged, and hang out cheering on runners until she came along. (Sadly, I'm pretty sure from her splits that Juls (Keeping Pace) passed me while I was there, but I didn't recognize her in the sea of TNT purple). Seeing that many people running on a Sunday morning was inspiring, and seeing 21cmom is always enjoyable, even if I only tagged along with her for a few hundred yards. I'm glad I got out there, even if the previous night's dinner date with El Bandito had a little more wine than optimal for getting up on a cloudy Sunday.

My trapeze skills are slowly improving. I'm frustrated, so very frustrated, by all the things I used to be able to do that are still past my current level of strength and agility post-surgery. ButI am making progress and it's important for me to reiterate that to myself. Especially since I feel rather like I'm simply treading water in so many ways.

I didn't get the job that I mentioned previously. It would have been a real stretch; I think I would have enjoyed the challenge but it was also damn intimidating. All-in-all, however, the application and interview was a good experience. Now, if only there were some equally appealing ads out there right now. There will be something, or I'll pursue more freelance opportunities.

In the meantime, I keep bargaining with myself.

No comments: