Friday, September 5, 2008

Limbo...

Limbo: n. ... c: an intermediate or transitional place or state d: a state of uncertainty*

I applied for a job last week. On paper, I'm ... not underqualified, but not quite what they are necessarily expecting. I'm also fairly confident that I could do the job well and enjoy it. I gave it a good shot, and will follow up.

In the meanwhile, I'm definitely in a state of limbo, according to the above definitions.
And headed away for 10 days of mountain hiking in the wilds of our neighbor to the north. I need this vacation, as extravagant as it seems with lurking possibilities of unemployment. It also makes pursuing much rather difficult, so I feel even more like I am waiting in an uncertain place.

However, there's another definition of the word limbo:
limbo:
: a dance or contest that involves bending over backwards and passing under a horizontal pole lowered slightly for each successive pass*

Our house is being painted. (We rent). Scaffolding went up on Wednesday, much to the critters' consternation. My consternation as well, when I went to put out the trash and discovered that there were cross-braces in the way. Limbo with trash cans. It was something of a challenge.
Between the two types of limbo in my life, is it any wonder I've had Limbo Rock stuck in my head?

Every limbo boy and girl
All around the limbo world
Gonna do the limbo rock
All around the limbo clock
Jack be limbo, Jack be quick
Jack go unda limbo stick
All around the limbo clock
Hey, let's do the limbo rock**


*definitions from merriamwebster.com
** credit to Chubby Checker, of course


1 comment:

21stCenturyMom said...

Have a great time hiking and hopefully you will have full access to both garbage cans and a great job when you get back!

Thanks for doing the math on my training time. Triathlon is all about the bike so I'm liking that ratio - a lot!