Thursday, February 10, 2011

every step


last weekend, I ran a 5k race in the park.
it's truly my backyard race. I did it for the first time last year, on far too little sleep and far too much stress. Last year, I had a time goal, and a secondary time goal and a "run every step". I made the secondary time goal, but neither of the others.

this year, I had a simple goal. Run it.
Overall, I was slower. ~0:30/mile slower. Notably slower.
But I ran it.
All of it.

despite the ankle.
despite the fact that I've been training trapeze, doing prep hikes for an upcoming trip, working too much.
despite the fact that run training was squeezed in.
and that some times I realized that between all these activities, I hadn't a day without a serious workout for >2 weeks. yes, it's a balance of strength and cardio. yes, it's different muscles. but sometimes, the body just wants a day off.
despite the fact that it was a good 15-20 degrees warmer than my preferred and usual run temperature.
despite all that.

I ran it. Slow and steady and negative-split. and managed not to be too disappointed in my time. I knew I hadn't trained for a better time.

and then hung out while a friend finished her walk/run version and laughed when she turned to me and said "I was smiling when I crossed the finish line and this is all your fault." another one hooked.

followed by a lovely breakfast at a cafe reading the paper in the sun with El Bandito, then a short hike in the woods. Ok, the hike was longer than the run :)

February's been busy.
This Sunday's an audition with my trapeze piece. Nervous.

No comments: