Monday, December 2, 2013

Goose, or gratitude day 2 involves ice cream.

Sometime along the line, I declared 2013 to be the year of adventure. Hopefully, I'll get the energy and motivation to share some of those stories -- it's been a year that included fairly spontaneous trips to Eastern Europe and Myanmar, of all places.  Hiking. Paragliding. Kayaking. Performing.  So much adventure, and it just fills me with more wanderlust.

In June, I grabbed a long weekend and met a friend in Jackson Wyoming for a few days of spring mountain hiking.  She's actually the same friend I flew to catch up with in Eastern Europe.  We were debating whether we can call each other college friends; we finally figured out sometime in the last two years where and how we'd met, because while her ex-husband was Bandito's best friend in college, we knew that wasn't the only connection but we couldn't recall when we'd met. But our friendship has grown over the last two decades, despite living in different states.

She's helped inspire me to travel more independently, to not require El Bandito's company for an adventure although I enjoy it.  She's fueled my wanderlust (the gal hit a lifetime "countries visited" of 40 for her 40th birthday trip; I feel so parochial).  She's supportive. She makes me laugh.

We often finish each other's sentences, and it's somewhat uncanny how often we're on the same wavelength.  Our travels together have been fun and relaxed; we're easy companions and that really simplifies things.  Sometimes, when El Bandito is grouchy with me for not finishing my thought before jumping seven thoughts ahead, I realize how lucky I am to have a friend who makes the same leaps.  I just wished she lived a bit closer.  In the meantime, we'll continue to meet in not-our-homes. And share a pint of ice cream sitting on the roadside after a hot mountain hike, even if we couldn't finish it.

No comments: